For those of you who have an iPhone 3GS or an iPod Touch 4, Apple recently released iOS 6.1.6 to fix a critical SSL security flaw. You can still jailbreak this version using P0Sixspwn and Redsn0w and we are going to show you how to do it.
Image : Posixpwn Jailbreak Tool
First, though, there are some things you need to be aware of :
- This is ONLY for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4 on iOS 6.1.6. If you have an iOS device you need to use Evasi0n 7 to jailbreak your device
- If you use ultrasn0w to jailbreak, don’t update your device to iOS 6.1.6
- You must have the latest version of iTunes downloaded on your computer
This tutorial is in 2 parts, first to jailbreak using Redsn0w and then converting the jailbreak to untethered using P0sixspwn.
How to Jailbreak using Redsn0w
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 [ext link] save it to your desktop
2. Download the iOS 6.0 IPSW [ext link] – This is important because Redsn0w will jailbreak the earlier version on a tethered basis, while P0sixspwn will convert it to untethered.
3. Connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer
4. Extract the Redsn0w files and click on the application to open it – If you use Windows 7, right-click the app icon and select Properties. Click on Compatibility select Windows XP as the compatibility Mode. You should also select Run as Administrator for the menu
5. Click on Extras
6. Click on Select IPSW
7. Point to the iOS 6.0 IPSW you downloaded earlier
8. Back on the main page for Redsn0w, click on Jailbreak
9. Redsn0w will begin the process of jailbreaking
10. When asked, select Cydia on the jailbreak options page and click next. You can also click on Enable Battery Percentage option as well if you want
11. You will be asked to place your device into DFU. Turn off your iPhone or iPod but make sure you do not disconnect it from your computer. Click the Next button in Redsn0w:
- Hold down the Home and Power buttons together for 10 seconds.
- Release Power button, continue to hold Home until Redsn0w confirms your device is in DFU
12. Your iPhone or iPod should reboot and Redsn0w will start to upload the new kernel and RAM disk
13. As soon as the jailbreak process has finished, click on Quit in Redsn0w
14. Wait for a bit as the process will need to complete on your device, after which it will reboot again
15. Cydia will not be visible as this is a tethered jailbreak so you now need to carry out a tethered boot:
- Open Redsn0w again
- Click Extras
- Click on Select IPSW and find the IPSW on your PC
- Click on Just Boot
- You will be asked to connect your device to your PC and turn the device off. Follow the onscreen instructions, clicking on Next
- Again your device needs to go into DFU, onscreen instructions will be provided
- Redsn0w will detect your device in DFU and will apply the Limera1n exploit
- Your Phone or iPod will reboot and, instead of the Apple logo you will see a Pineapple
- When the process is finished you will be at your lock screen
Cydia should now be visible on your Home screen. Open it and allow it to update. Cydia will close again afterwards. Relaunch it; select User from the onscreen options.
How to Convert a Tethered Jailbreak to Untethered Using P0sixspwn :
- Staying in Cydia, tap the search icon and type in P0sixspwn
- Tap on the correct search result and tap Install
- Tap on Confirm
- The package will install, tap on Return to Cydia when the button appears
Your iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4 should now be jailbroken, untethered.
If you encounter any problems, please have a look at the following tips :
Cydia not there
If Cydia is not visible on your Home screen, make sure you have actually followed ALL of the steps to tether boot your device
IPSW Not Supported
If you get a message telling you the IPSW is not supported, you have downloaded the wrong IPSW. Please make sure you download the iOS 6.0 IPSW, not 6.1.3, or any other version.
Cydia shuts down straightaway
If Cydia shuts down as soon as you launch it, you haven’t downloaded P0sixspwn in Cydia. Follow the appropriate steps above to do this.