Ever since iOS 8 was released in September, the talk has been mainly about the next jailbreak. Both Evad3rs and Pangu were said to be working on the utility but only Pangu commented on their progress, telling us that they were close to a release. The one thing they didn’t tell us was how close.
Image : Pangu Jailbreak iOS 8
In a surprise move yesterday, Pangu released their brand new jailbreak for iOS 8-8.1. That was followed just a couple of short hours later by the first update, to fix a bug that was losing people’s photos off their devices. Before you all rush to download it though, there are a few things you need to be aware of .
Pangu 8 Jailbreak – Things to Know :
- The utility is for Windows only – a Mac version is on the way
- The jailbreak is only in the Chinese language at this stage although Pangu assure us that an English version is on the way
- It is an untethered jailbreak for iOS 8, 8.0.1, 8.0.2 and 8.1
- Cydia is not installed with the jailbreak because, at the time of release, it was not compatible with iOS 8. However, that has now been released and we will provide you with a separate tutorial on how to install it with this jailbreak
- Pangu iOS 8 jailbreak is compatible with the following on iOS 8+:
- iPhone 6 Plus, 5, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S
- iPad Air, Air 2
- iPad Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3
- iPad 2,3,4
- iPod Touch 5
Before you start :
- Disable your passcode and turn off Find My iPhone
- Settings >Touch ID & Passcode
- Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone
- Make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes
- Open iTunes
- Click on Help
- Click on Check for Update
- If a new version is available, install it
- Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod to iOS 8.1 using the IPSW method
- Back up your data through iTunes and/or iCloud
How to Jailbreak using Pangu v1.1 :
- Download Pangu 8 [ext link]
- Right click on the icon and select Run as Administrator
- The jailbreak is in the Chinese language so look for a box that says PP and click it, removing the check mark against it
- Click the large blue Jailbreak button
- The screen will show which stage of the jailbreak it is currently on there are 6
- Do not touch your iOS device unless you are instructed to do so
- Your device will reboot a number of times – the whole process can take up to 10 minutes
- You should now see the Pangu app on your home screen – this means the jailbreak has been successful. Cydia will not be there although we will be telling you how to get this on there in a separate post.
- Now Download Cydia [ext link] on iOS 8 following the linked tutorial .
So, that’s how you jailbreak your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad using the new Pangu jailbreak. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in the comments box below. If you want to find out how to get Cydia onto your device after jailbreaking, we will provide you with the details but you will need to follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Subscribe to our newsletter to get the information.
Subscribe to get Pangu 8 News via Email :
Update : As Cydia has now been updated to support iOS 8, Pangu say they will be including it with the jailbreak in the very near future.